The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and DSC equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and handheld sets.
This is an eLearning course, but one of our RYA instructor's is on hand to provide as much support as you require, this is done predominately by email, but we can also offer Skype chats at pre-arranged times.
The course covers:
- Basic radio operation.
- Correct frequencies (channels) to be used.
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures.
- Ship to shore calls.
- Digital Selective calling (DSC) using simulators.
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBS).
- Search and Rescue (SART).
- The online course
- Support from an RYA VHF Instructor
- Course pack including RYA VHF handbook (G31)
- Learning worksheets
- Wallet size study aid
Whats not included:
- SRC Exam fee (£60-00 payable to RYA directly)
Whats involved in the exam?
Existing Customer Login
|Duration||4 - 8 hours.|
Try before you buy
You are strongly advised to 'try the taster before you buy the course' to ensure that the device you intend to complete the course on is compatible. No refunds can be issued for incompatible devices.
Computer Requirements & Technical Support:
Minimum computer requirements:
- Internet connection (WiFi or 3G)
- 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- Netbooks are NOT supported due to the reduced screen resolution.
- iPads are now supported!
- Android tablets are NOT currently supported, but the RYA are currently working on this!
- Mac 2008 models or above with OS X 10.7 (Lion) or above.
- PC Windows Vista Service Pack 2 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) processor with 512 MB RAM sound card.
Please visit the Help page on the RYA Interactive website.
How does it all work?
Once you've recieved your login information email from us, click HERE and login with the username & password we send you.
We will mail your course pack, but you don't need to wait for this to start your course.
Carry out the online course at a pace to suit you.
If you have any questions at any stage about the course content, simply email your instructor
On successful completion of your course, we will send you a completed course certificate.